I know it is now March and I have been very very slack in keeping this blog updated but things are still happening down here in darkest Tasmania.
Over the New Year with the indispensable help of our friend Lee the shed got a long awaited makeover. It had been straightened from its drunk leaning status a little while ago but now it was time for the full monty. Why not just knock it down and build a new one? well firstly to knock it down needed a permit and then getting planning permission to put a new one right on the boundary could have been tricky. Rebuilding did not need planning or building permission although the carport we put up did. Secondly the hardwood frame was in very good condition as was the concrete slab and the roof also. So all that embodi ed energy would have gone to the tip or somewhere if we knocked it down. Also it gives character to the place. When you have stocks of materials to use it makes sense to recycle instead of destroy
The inside was cleaned out and lined with a combination of flat panelling left over from other projects and the corrugated iron that had come off the roof of the house, been put onto the shed temporarily to cover over where I had removed weatherboards to go onto the house. The corro was put on with the shiny side out.
A new door was cut into the north side of the shed facing the garden. This end has become Mandy’s garden shed so tools and wheelbarrows etc can be wheeled straight out into the garden. The doors were made from some of the old weatherboards put vertically
A wide sliding door was built and inserted where the tiny window was originally. The door was welded from rhs offcuts and clad in weatherboard. The sliding mechanism was purpose built but the rail it slides in was made from a piece of pallet racking.
Before wrapping with builders wrap we insulated the shed with left over insulation from the house. Also used a large insulated caravan roof donated by our next door neighbours. Aluminium sheets glued to polystyrene block.
Finally it was clad with colorbond matching the colour of the extension. this was problematical as Lysaght who makes colorbond had discontinued the colour so had to hunt for it. Found it on the mainland and then there were dock strikes so it all takes time.
Whilst waiting for the cladding we erected a carport with the same gable as the shed.
Now we are waiting with baited breath for a slab to be poured so we can start using the carport.
The inside of the shed needs benches and places to put tools etc but that will be the subject of another post.