|A chance to talk to the owners of two very different sustainable homes, ask them the burning questions you might have about aspects of sustainability in a home and enjoy some great morning or afternoon tea.
Sustainable House Tours – The inside story.
Saturday May 10th
10.30-12.30 & 2.00-4.00
From the folks that brought Sustainable House Day to Northern Tasmania.
Come along and pick the brains of sustainable home owners about the nitty gritty of their experiences creating and living in a sustainable home.
- Cost: By donation. You pay what you think the session was worth.
- Numbers: Limited. This ensures that in depth information can be discussed
- Session Length: 90 minute session at each home. Each home open in the morning and afternoon. You pick the session that suits you.
- Afternoon/morning tea: Yum. Will be available
- Bookings: Essential. Contact Lisa on 0427 283 403 or email annelisa(at)westnet.com.au Details of locations provided when booking.
- House locations: In the Meander Valley
Two very different homes.
House 1: Transformation of a 1940,s weatherboard house that optimises energy efficiency and minimises running costs.
- Sharing (by blog) extensive research on all materials used for sustainability and availability.
- Owner built studio extension (mega anchors, double glazing, sustainable flooring, hardwood framing, wool insulation, plastic/wood composite deck)
- Grid connect solar. Energy efficient lighting
- Heat pump hot water unit, water saving devices
- Up-cycled and recycled materials
- Natural paints and floor finishes
- Retro fitted insulation (roof and walls) and draught proofing
House 2: Maximum sustainability with minimum environmental footprint. Purpose designed passive solar house.
- Passive solar design
- Recycled materials
- Stand alone solar power
- Composting toilet
- Permaculture garden with swales
- Onsite greywater treatment system
- water reticulation system for house and garden using dams, tanks and solar pumps
- Owner built