2013 update

I must be the slackest blogger in 2013. this is the first update since December 2012.

This does not mean that we have not been busy. Far from it. We started the year with finishing  the hallway, then moved on to creating a snug lounge room next to the kitchen and at the moment we are removing walls and floor from bathroom/toilet to create a new all in one space with insulation in the floors and walls.

See next few posts to see the story.

Other things we have been busy with is a slow but ongoing shed reno with laserlite being put into the roof. It needed to be straightened up quite alot as it was leaning rather. Eventually we will reclad it, insualte and line the inside. Also we have continued with our gabion fence and had a great pedestrian gate created to enter the backyard.

So it has now been five years in a two year project and I was reflecting about what worked and what has not. Here is a list of what we have found to be a bit of a dud or what we were not very good at

  • Oikos paint – supposedly for outside but peeled off after two years.
  • Clear Comfort glazing film – Where it has worked it is brilliant but issues with the double sided tape sticking on Bio brand water based enamel paint.
  • Tiling – leave it to the professionals
  • Bamboo flooring – has worked in the studio but will not use in the kitchen as the surface scratches a little too easily and shows up as a white mark

Now the things we have loved

  • Mega anchors – brilliant bit of engineering kit
  • Volvox hard wax oil for floors, architraves, furniture – bloody good
  • Recycled back doors
  • our recycled timber kitchen
  • Clay based paint, now available as an Australian product through Rockcote
  • Led lighting
  • Plastic/wood composite deck
Advertisements

gabion update

Since our good friend Lee designed our round gabion pillars we have had lots of great comments about them and the thin gabions that surround the deck.

when I decided to tidy up around the rear steps and build a small deck extension to infill a dead space the natural way to end that was to build another small gabion.

Then I thought I would just show some pictures of the  other gabions that we have done just to remind people.

filling the gabion

filling the gabion

round gabion with insulator sculpture

round gabion with insulator sculpture

finished gabion

finished gabion

water tank gabion 11

The finished old new fence

The finished old new fence

Post xmas 2012 update

Have realised that I have not added anything to this blog since the end of August!!

Pretty slack!!

It is not that things have not been happening it is just pure laziness on my part, oh and earning a living and walking the dog, and doing community stuff, and so it goes on.

Mostly since August I was concentrating on finishing things off so we could get our final inspection from Council which was granted 06/12/12 A milestone. Does it mean that the house is finished, well NO. Just the parts that were submitted to Council three and a half years ago. Basically the extension, kitchen, laundry and deck.

When troy the building inspector came around he cast his eye around, asked for two things to be done and that was it. Six weeks later I reminded council that they were issuing the Final Inspection certificate, and they got around to it.

So since August I built the ramp off the deck (see post on that under Deck). Had another 2Kw of solar added as a seperate system. We now have a 1kw system and a 2 kw system. Both running seperate inverters etc.

both inverters, 2kw is underneath

both inverters, 2kw is underneath

1 kw solar and 2 kw solar underneath

1 kw solar and 2 kw solar underneath

The other major thing we have done is to tidy up the area around the steps. As you can see above we have filled with some more decking, built a water tank stand for a 1000 litre zinc tank that we have had for a couple of years doing nothing and created a screen to hang a “Love Life!” sculpture made by friends Zane and Sally.

Love Life !

Love Life !

Other little things include running a grey water divert right under the extension to a large tank with a submersible pump. when it fills the pump comes on and waters our native trees at the end of the garden. Constant garden attention in spring time keeps Mandy busy between working, oh and we replaced the fence. The original 50 meters of paling fence was held together with barbed wire and spit. It only took a day and a half to put the new one up but days of denailing, stacking, sorting and we have only cut up a fraction. Waiting for winter so we can burn some of it in our wood heater.