This year 2012 is flying by and I have not updated this blog since early January. This does not mean we have been idle. This time of year is very busy in our working lives and every weekend we are somewhere in the state of Tasmania performing our puppet shows at festivals and events.
So since January there has been progress on the outside of the house. The eastern side had been languishing with its old paint and peeling windows so it was out with the I-Strip infra red paint stripper, the ladder and aching shoulders and neck to remove all the paint on the eastern side.
There is nothing much new to talk about. The I-Strip made easy work of removing the paint from the weatherboards in a safe, non toxic way and the Rockcote paint was as usual a dream to apply. I had to order some more white gloss for the window frames and Tony from Anmax Coatings in Hobart was helpful and prompt with delivery.
Rockcote coatings are Australian owned and made, use zero VOC tints and have a fantastic environmental ethos. They do NOT have a research and development department but a RESEEK and DEVELOPMENT Dept, where they are looking at the old and the new. Their headquarters is a study in itself in environmentally friendly design. We are very happy with their products.
So far I have only completed half of the eastern wall as I had to finish plastering and painting the kitchen so that half of the custom made kitchen cabinets could be fitted but that is a different story!!
I have now completed the painting of the first section of the house. The Rockcote Ecostyle topcoat went on really well, two coats and that was that. We used a British paint colour called Lemon Souffle for the weatherboards, Manor Red to match the gutters around the windows, and white for the window frames.
The Oikos specified two coats of top coat but this was a little translucent and needed three. The Manor Red around the outside of the window frames could have done with another one if you were really being fussy. It goes on really easily and cuts in on the window edges very well.
All in all we are very pleased with the result. Lots of stripping and painting to go though.